Nothing is more ‘birthday’ than funfetti & donuts.
P U T T I N G T H E F U N I N F U N F E T T I
I always do my best to create a special cake on my sister’s birthday. The tradition started a few years ago when I made a funfetti cake that was absolutely one of our favorites. This year, she requested funfetti blondies, and as promised I gifted them to her on the day of her birthday. Over the weekend I decided to put together another rendition of the birthday cake I made for her the year the tradition was born. I also added a creative twist by decorating it with delicious mini donuts. The cake was really moist and held together through the humidity, and it was one of the most photogenic desserts that I have ever created. It does take some time to make, but it was totally worth the wait.
S H O P P R O D U C T S
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large egg
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk
- 2 TBS vanilla
- 3/4 cup sprinkles
- 1/3 cake batter (recipe above)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- sprinkles, for topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 TBS milk
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 2 6-inch baking pans and 1 mini donut pan with nonstick spray. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk sugars with melted butter until no lumps. Slowly whisk in eggs, yogurt, milk, and vanilla until combined. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Slowly stir in sprinkles.
- Divide 1/3 of cake batter for donuts. Add batter into the corner of a zip lock bag and cut the tip for easy spooning into donut pans. Fill pan until 3/4 full.
- Pour remaining cake batter into baking pans. Bake cakes for 30 minutes, and donuts for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and 2 TBS milk, adding additional milk in necessary.
- Once donuts have been cooled, use a knife to top with melted semi sweet chocolate and dip into sprinkles. Set aside.
- Once cakes and donuts have been cooled completely, take both cakes and place them on top of each other. Coat cakes with frosting. Place donuts at the bottom of the cake (using approximately 10 and reserving 2 for the top). Decorate top of cake as desired with sprinkles and extra donuts.
- **For the cake batter, you will want to use any kind of sprinkles except for nonpareils.